Monday, January 29, 2007

This is my menses speaking

I got into this disagreement over email with a friend.

At the start of our discord he asked, “Is it that time of the month?” which of course exasperates any female.

Truthfully, we (women) can be rational beings even when we have our menses.

I related my exasperation to CM (praise God she is not having menses) (although she has found a “cure” in her Eu Yan Sang concoction of pak-chen herbal soup). And CM says in fact, we are not quite rational when our hormone levels are going haywire. You mean you my good friend, are not on my side?

I can’t believe that our behavior is dictated by chemistry above the rational mind!!!

But what else could explain my over sensitivity to his [implicit] accusations that I have not been a good enough friend (imagine!!!) to another friend, and explicitly calling me “a little bit disillusioned” because I don't have a long term goal for my life? What else could explain my very sharp and sarcastic words in reply?

Work stress, maybe? No, really, I am in a really stressful period (as in, phase of time).

And it is sooooooooooo sickening that he is right! Aargh!!!! And since he is a doctor it makes his being right even more indisputable! AAAAAARGH!

CM: He said what??
NY: Yes!
CM: (Agrees in silence)
NY: What is worse is that I can't even deny it!
CM: (Bursts out laughing). So you are having your menses!!!
NY: Uh-huh.
CM: Don’t worry, it's the hormones. You can blame it all on them because it really is their fault. In a few days, you will feel very different and the sun will shine again. And you will look back at this and laugh.
NY: Laugh? I would look back and feel so foolish!!! I hate that he is right!
CM: THAT’s what bothering you! Hahahah!
NY: Don’t laugh at me!
CM: Knowing you, you will probably apologise and ask “will you be my friend again?”
NY: Oh shut up!


So Silly-by-default, if you ever happen to read my blog: You win lor!

(This is still my menses speaking).

p/s I do have a long term vision of what I want/ want to be when I am 50. I took the [other] doctor's advice (not you either, Charles) and thought about it. In fact, I have mapped out what I needed to achieve those visions. Hah! I just need to find that paper again...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you call me last yesterday evening because your menses wanted to speak? hi hi. You know, I agree with CM too. CH has a cure for this.. take cod liver oil. Apparently it works (he!)

nicole said...

ya lor!!! but you always never pick up and dun even let me know if you got my missed call! If i really had full blown hormonal imbalance i would fall into depression and think nobody loves me! and it would be YOUR FAULT!

this is still my menses speaking. it is my menses' fault. all of it.

Anonymous said...

no! is not cod liver oil...is Evening Primrose Oil...or there is something else even better, which i havent try, is Starflower Oil. Can get in in Holland's & Barrett.

Anonymous said...

hahaha...Gin...thanks for the support! i do swear by the pak-chen...and mind you, only the Eu Yan Sang's!!!

and yeng, i see that you learn fast, my child. going into depression and thinking nobody loves you...hmmmm...where have i heard that before?? and yes, yes...blame it all on the menses!! it really does have a limitless capacity to accept all the blames you are gonna throw on it. a word of caution though, don't be addicted to it!! you are so gonna laugh at all of this once you are 'liberated' again!

Anonymous said...

And be glad that you get to talk talk talk..and yak yak yak away when your menses are acting on you..For me, due to the time difference, I don't seems to be able to share anymore. Keeping all the pent up anger to myself! :(

Anonymous said...

let's group hug

Anonymous said...

muahahaha...yes! Let's group hug...HUGZ!!!! :P now, i feel all fuzzy inside.. kekeke..

I feel so much better now..!kekeke..

Anonymous said...

erm... ladies...if i may. Firstly if you think you suffer from what i would call premenstrual syndrome, you must find that you suffer from cyclical recurrence of psychological, behavioural or somatic symptoms in the last two weeks of your period cycles...and must be relief by the end of menstruation followed by symptom free period. If not...then likely not PMS.

Try general measure like self help groups (like your group now consisting of CH,GIN,NY and CM!!!! hehehhe), relaxation n stress management, reflexology and things like that.. if that fails then go for some happy pills... Manipulation of menstrual cycle ie...to control your hormones only when these measure fails. As such i am talking about the contraceptive pills...vitamins....but these are not superior to placebo...

CH...EPO may reduce breast tenderness but not much of other symptoms..

So.... if you do suffer from PMS then you are the one of the 5% cases amongst all women... difficult to manage...

cheers.... for me..erm just take a glass of red wine and sleep....heheh works better...

nicole said...

dear charles, thanks for sharing a gynaecologist's expert point of view :) you have done womenkind a huge favour. wine works for us too.

Anonymous said...

Of deepest regrets to have caused all these havoc in your bodily space. I was meant to grow very gently until I was big enough to initiate and maintain your beautiful curves, as well as to facilitate the production of your eggs. Just like the ocean, I heave and halt and hurl and sometimes crash, not aware of the immense and contemptuous surges and storms that I produce in you. Like the silver moon, I wax and wane in cycle. But one day, I shall diminish to insignificance, and you shall desire me more than the forecourts of kings. I confess that my temperaments are incontrolable and they continually betray me. Hence therefore and thus so, for my intolerable and insufferable tempests and hurricanes, feel free to place all blames on me if it shall at all ease your pain…

Love, Oessie

nicole said...

Silly-by-default, if not impressed with your angstful, sorrowful and poetic confession in the guise of my oestrogen, I would be less forgiving. Even if you are right.

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOiii!!!! I am not a CHARLES leh!!!! ......£@!£!@£@!£! :P

Anonymous said...

toyol....you are so a charles...charletan!! and thanks for the tips..so GO GIRL POWER!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Dr. CHARLES TAN!!!

Anonymous said...

i think i am going to faint and vomit blood..........