Friday, July 13, 2007

The good times


I have this picture as my wallpaper at work. It was taken during David and Lydia's wedding last weekend. The girl in pink is Janice and the girl in blue is Shanice. Ku used to get their names mixed up when we all first started working together.

I miss those times. Janice and I started in FHKL the same day. David was already there. Shanice joined us a month later. We were the "pioneering" team; Ku was rebuilding the KL office for FH SEA. I always thought it is not a coincidence that Ku hired three Christian girls who are truly committed Christians. David himself is a man after God's heart. So Ku was surrounded by God's presence.

I miss them. Terribly so, today.

I miss the times at Mon't Kiara in our little but bright and noisy office (David being the propagator of noise). We talked across our cubicles and Ku would join in from his office which was right behind me (I had the most exposed workstation).

I miss Thursday pasar malams. We would pack and go back to the office and work some more. At about 10pm David would start to play his favourite Christmas carol.

I miss lunches with them. Walking under the highway across to Sri Hartamas for porky food. I miss us teasing David for always wanting cheap food (he was saving up to get married).

I even miss staying back really late with them. Packing media kits until midnight. In that office it didn't matter that my hourly rate was too high to be doing such things.

It was a time of innocence. I don't know why I think of it that way. We were younger, yes. But it was not so long ago.

We live in such a frenetic phase compared to our elders that perhaps we really do grow up more in a shorter span of time.

I miss those times. They were not easy times. We worked till we dropped, till we fell sick, we sacrificed, we grew the company, we grew together under Ku's guidance. But I can't remember those tired and frustrated feelings anymore. I only remember how good it was.

When we got really frustrated we would go for Baskin Robbins ice cream. Jamoca Almond Fudge for Janice, Choc Chic Mint for Shanice, I-forgot-what for David, and Rum N Raisin for me. We used those as our MSN taglines :)

When David got stressed he played with his Star Wars miniatures.

I miss those times. I miss Janice, Shanice and David. Ku included. I miss our team.

I love you guys. Thank you for being such a big and meaningful part 0f my life.

8 comments:

yltan said...

waaah...where lah you keep all your goodlooking friends???

hehehe...

nicole said...

Haha yes, wait till I show you the picture of the entire team. My ex boss do hire gorgeous girls. We had the highest number of pretty girls in one table that night. Sorry, they are taken, though.

davidlian said...

Haha, good times indeed. Best first job I had, ever!

Hey, and in addition to pretty girls, there were pretty boys there also okay?!!

I was Maui Brownie Madness - in honour of that Aussie lady with a thick Aussie accent! Haha...

Anonymous said...

Aw, Nic... I got teary-eyed reading this blog entry. I miss you too! Those special moments really stand out, now that you've mentioned them one by one.

It's true, I think we were all hired for a reason. And perhaps, we've done / doing our part for the time that we've been placed here (I'd like to think so, at least).

It's too soon to say, but I think the four of us will still remain good friends, even if we go our separate ways. I mean...both you and David have left FH and but we're closer than ever! :)

nicole said...

i know you guys must be chatting on IM cos you commented right after each other! :p

Anonymous said...

Shh...! Don't mention IM! I can imagine Polly C with her hands on her hips, tapping her foot and glaring at me. :)

davidlian said...

Haha...Polly C... I can't get over that! Which other PR firm uses a cartoon to gently tell you that you need to NOT use IM during work.

nicole said...

I am so glad to be rid of Polly C and more so of time sheets!!!!