Wednesday, June 13, 2007

All about Saphie


I used to think I would not be able to live away from the city but I think age has gotten to me. I like this little town of Buckingham where Ping and Saphie live.

In the morning I indulge in sleeping late (9+); saunter into the kitchen for tea and toast; read the papers; check my emails and look for jobs.

Yesterday I had to pick Saphie from school. Two hours before that I got into a mini panic attack- there is no food. What if she gets hungry when she gets home? I settled for the simple stuff and whatever I could find in the larder and fridge. It was to be pasta and prawns marinara.

I walked to Saphie's school, 15 min away from the house. Ping was at work and I get to do the honour. I came with Ping the day before and one of the moms thought I was 20!?!? Saphie gladly told her teacher that I am her sister because she says I look like her. I look nothing like a Chinese-Italian although that would be nice.

On the way home Saphie showed me a different route. "The long way," she said. We walked through some lush greenery and what reminded me of "the woods" in Enid Blyton's stories. I could almost imagine fairies spying on us. "Be careful of stinging nettles!" Saphie warned.

Ping had told me she would ask to go to the playground, which would be OK. But Saphie changed her mind and decided she would like to make butterfly cupcake. Gulp. Me? Bake?? She must have read my thoughts: " We have instructions on the box". This little girl reads body language and nuances very well.

We searched high and low (basement also) but could not find the measuring spoons. How was I to know how much is 50g of butter?? Let's see, one box contains 500g so I would just make divisions of 10. "You're so smart!" "Thanks darling, I know." :)

Ping came back while we were whisking the dough. Our butterfly cupcakes turned out well and so did the icing. Hurrah!

Then we played badminton in the garden while Ping watered her plants. We mused about starting a garden center together, Ping and I.

Saphie gets me to stay in the bathroom with her while she takes her shower because she doesn't like to be in there alone. Ping hears not of the nonsense but me, I am a woosie... The bathroom, by the way, is larger than my dorm room in Butler's Wharf when I was in LSE. I sit on the cushions with a book while Saphie talks in the shower.

I dry her hair and she continues talking. Something about a boyfriend called Callum and them getting married when they turn 9.

She made a necklace for me from her beads collection. They all came off when she tried to wear it for me. We patiently strung the beads together again. This happened twice.

Then she wanted to type on my computer- she is fascinated by my white Macbook.

Time for bed. Saphie kissed me while I brushed my teeth and wished me good night. She went into her room and came out again. "Jie jie, are you still washing your face?" She comes over and hugged me from behind and kissed me again.

Repeat.

Today Saphie has African drumming lessons after school and then her dad picks her up for swimming. Ping asked if it is OK is she spends time with daddy while she and I go out for a drink this evening.

"Bu neng!" (Mandarin: Not possible!)
"Why?"
"Because she didn't just come for you, you know!"

Ping and I were dumbfounded. She is flabbergasting and lovely all at once.

"Will you come to Italy for my birthday in August?"
"Will you come to Greece with us?"

When Ping and Saphie came to Singapore last year they stayed three nights. On the morning they were to depart I woke up with a big lump in my throat. After the taxi drove off I went back to my apartment and it never felt so empty.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing motherhood spewing, squirting and oozing out of you. :D Awww...time to get a kai lui, mebbe Saphie can be your kai lui.

Anonymous said...

saphie is the prettiest little girl i have ever seen :-)

Krystal said...

Pretty girl :) Btw, I've tagged you.

nicole said...

Vien, what is a ka lui? a daughter?

Yes, saphie is really pretty. she has her mom's eyes. Ping is also very pretty and was quite a heart-breaker herself! We first knew Saphie when she was 5 and she was even cuter then :)

Krystal!!! Argh!!!!!

Anonymous said...

kai lui = god daughter

Anonymous said...

it was "kai lui" = god daughter =)

yltan said...

gin: i must say there are more girls out there that's better looking... hehhe.... not saying that she is not pretty..she is...but there are better ones.. hehhehe...

nicole: hmmm...i think you need to get a kid yourself lah.. hhehe... sounds like a mom....

nicole said...

TYL, I am not the one pining to be a mom, OK. I like to return kids to their moms at the end of the day :P Go encourage your friend CHeewisk who is having a to be or not to be crisis!!

Anonymous said...

haloooo...i am not having a crisis OK...halooo!!!

Since u wanted me to blog and blog and blog..i gotta find some topic lar..

And so not fair...my comments are not posted!! Selective posting is not the way to go!

nicole said...

Cheewick- paisehlah! You can't over sell me on my blog lar!!!