Relegated
In Malaysia, it seems to be that the standard government prescription to problems is: Let’s not talk it about lest we kill ourselves with parangs on the road.
1969 is almost 40 years ago. If we had not matured as people of a nation in that time so that we can look back at a black spot in our past and talk about what its causes were in fear that talking about it will bring back the same mayhem, we have not learnt or healed or grew from it, and we are a pitiable nation indeed.
Let’s not talk about anything that would undermine Malay supremacy. Let’s not talk about anything that would incite racial hatred.
Let’s just not kid ourselves and live in a make belief world.
The NEP was a paradigm for social reengineering and its true motives may have been- when it was formulated- to eliminate poverty that was the portion of the largest group of people. But the truth is that it has left a legacy or supremacy for the Princes of the Land and as a result, everyone else must be less.
In a globalised and resource-rich world where the pie is not finite and in growth everyone could benefit more if they benefit together, that is pitiable indeed.
2 comments:
I have the entire Buru quartet before I went to LBS. Sorry to spoil it, but I think Toer had something going in the first two books, then it goes downhill really fast.
Let's just say Minke couldn't run as fast as he got older.
Keep in touch. Thinking of starting my own blog now. But where got time?
kuenyi
mmmm.... i have the same feeling about the Buru quartet, which is why I still had not gotten to book 3. Do blog!! Then I can have another link, ha ha.
Post a Comment