Sunday, September 23, 2007

Before happily ever after

We all want happily every after. Don't lie lar! If we have our way and we are not jaded or cynical, we would admit we do want happily ever after. You know what? Happily ever after exists. Only not in this world.

Today’s message started from John 16:33b. Jesus said:

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But that heart! I have overcome the world.” New International Version.

“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” New Living Translation.

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” New King James.

I use three translations here because together they capture the meaning more comprehensively.

Trouble isn’t just trials; it is also sorrow. Taking heart isn’t just being strong; it is also rejoicing that we know the victory is already won.

Visiting pastor, Rob Yanok of Faith Point Church in Tennessee gave the message. His says everyday when his feet hit the floor he is excited about living out his calling – to inspire hope and to build faith. What a great calling.

Living out my calling. I don't always wake up glad or even want to wake up at all. How will I handle the tough times I will face? I hope that I would live out my calling all the more in those times. My response and reaction should be that of peace, the peace that transcends all understanding, even my own. So that I would reflect his grace and glory. (Stop reading now and please say a prayer for me that I will!!!!!)

2006 had been a really tough year. Sure, I was better off materially. But it was a year filled with loss, confusion and discovery (this isn’t always positive). I couldn’t wait for it to be over and to usher in a new year. With hopes, a "better" year.

My church in Singapore, Trinity Christian Centre prophesied that it would be a new season for the church and its members. It’s a season favour, fulfillment and multiplication. The latter will be better than the former.

So far, 2007 had been better. I know I am being taken on a journey of faith and because of that I also feel a sense of trepidation.

Pastor Yanok, I quote: Faith causes the trials. But faith also overcomes them.

And so, as I begin to read the Book of Job, and hear this message of trials and living out my calling, I am wondering about what when those times come.

Pastor Chris of DUMC said something I will always remember and have repeated before: We have not even given to the point of sacrifice. We have not indeed.

Jesus gave his life. He was born to die. In a very cynical perspective: so are we. The only difference that made all the difference is that He came to die FOR US.

I wondered at which point in His life did Jesus realize that. When he was three? Four? When he stayed back to debate with the teachers at the temple when his earthly parents left for home? As he drew nearer to 30 and knew it was the start of His ministry, was he excited? Three short years and the world is changed by His life and His death and resurrection. At 32 going on 33, did each step He took grow heavier? He knew what it was like to carry a burden because he carried the sins of world from eternity to eternity on His shoulders.

Pastor Yanok ended with the very popular Psalm 23.

V4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
V5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
V6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.

He said people love the ending of this Psalm - I do! We want to be victorious. We want prosperity that overfloweth. We want goodness and mercy all the days of our lives. And all these are rightfully ours.

But verse 4 doth come before verses 5 and 6.

Nevertheless, be of good cheer for He has overcome the world and He abides in me. AMEN.

p/s I am serious about that prayer bit!

No comments: