Irrational fears
I could be silly but I think I am not wrong. I have weird fears and I scare myself thinking of what if they come true.
Like for example, I fear turning blind. I run the risk of repeating this silly but fearful episode.
Last year I was in Sri Lanka for a house-building project with Habitat. Josie and I shared a room and a double bed in the only motel (us 13 people were the only guests, too) in this remote village at the foothills of the mountains.
Sounds like the beginnings of a scary movie??
So one night the air-conditioning didn’t work and it got warm. I woke up. (Deng deng deng deng….)
It was pitch black. The only time I’ve been in a place so dark and devoid of light completely was in Gua Tempurung, when our guide made us switch off all our torchlights.
Back to my story: I blinked. And blinked again. I moved my hands in front of my face. NOTHING. You cannot even imagine what it is like until you experience it for yourself.
I wasn’t thinking about ghosts. I was thinking that I turned blind.
In unison now: WHAT?? You silly girl!
See, it was my fear exposing itself. I began to want to cry and thought about how I would live my life as a blind person never to see again.
Then Josie stirred and I could feel her sit up.
“Josie…”
“Ya?”
“I can’t see” I my mind I was thinking of how she would need to wake everyone up and get me to the hospital to check if I had really turned blind.
“Ya, the lights all over the village went off. I heard a loud trip earlier.”
“OH.”
Oh, indeed. Irrational fear? Could anyone go to bed perfectly normal and turn blind the when she wakes up?
I have another irrational fear. That I would be paralyzed and have to lie in bed all my life having only my irrational mind as company (can you imagine me having menopause???).
Why am I thinking about all these now?
Because I don’t know how I hurt my neck and now I can only sit up straight as a pole, or lie down as flat as the horizon.
Irrational fear…?
7 comments:
Aiyo...my sister so "ko lian"... come back i give you massage la..ok??
Is your computer screen on a comfortable level for your neck?
Yo bro, I will definitely take you up on the massage. And I am very mad you did not ask me to go to Bali! Even if it is with the aunties. I can't go anyways as I might be somewhere else but I am still mad that I was not invited! HARUMPH!
Aunty EL, the ergonomics are all wrong at all places- office or home office (which means my dining room). But I think it is really because of the lack of exercise for months! Will try to go to the gym next week after this neck ache is gone. I put on Salonpas (they have new ones, pretty in pink) and the pain is much reduced.
I left amassage for u yesterday but it's not registered as i see it now. maybe next time i go to BALI with u if u like. I was not invited too. But i'll be going cruising in Superstar Gemini in Oct. Wish u enjoing the news
Mom, I might be going to Bali for work in December but it is tentative and nothing is confirmed. OR you might want to come to Hanoi end of Sept. Again my work travel is not set yet - I may not go at all.
The comments come to me first before it is posted. I need to approve it for publication - wah... like an editor!
btw, it's "yo sis"... kor won't be so nice to give u massage le.... *SWEAT*
actually after sometime I do realise it was you and not our brother... dun care I still want the massage...
Post a Comment