Thursday, September 13, 2007

Phenomenon

Joyce and I were working late last evening. NOBODY else was around and something strange happened. (Another scary movie in the making??)

Joyce: Nicole... do you feel the shaking?
Me: Yes...
Joyce: What is that?
Me: Er....actually it is swaying now! WE are swaying!
Unison: Earthquake!!!!!!!


It was swaying pretty badly and we were only on the 11th floor. I felt like I was in an aquarium (metaphorically speaking since I have never actually be inside an aquarium). We could see the office plants with long branches swaying with us.

It was the Indian Ocean- off Bengkulu, Sumatra, earthquake. It happened about six-ish pm but we only felt it at seven-ish. Joyce and I decided to go home and work from there (that's why they give you laptops and VPN!!!).

Last year I was working on the 24th floor and felt nothing. The first time I felt an earthquake was in New Zealand, January 1994. It lasted five seconds. My foster parents and I were watching TV and the whole world (it seemed) shook and we were almost shaken off our seats. Apparently it was not too unusual for them.

Am glad my Indonesian colleagues are ok but they told me there are still tremors right now and they are leaving the office.

No comments: