Banking day
Some banks are going to be mentioned in my tirade-to-shame.
Mom wanted to open a joint account with me so she does not have to make her way to USJ to bank-in cheques for me. My global “local” bank, one I have no complaints about and am rather pleased with, has few outlets, one being in USJ.
So Friday was the designated banking day. Brother decides that he, too, need to open a new current account with his bank, RHB. He just came back from UK and needs to deposit his money.
Our trio made its way to SS15, to that row of shops with almost all local banks represented. Mom wanted to “try out” Southern Bank now renamed CIMB just to try out their services. I was flabbergasted, seeing that she already has accounts in Maybank, Public Bank and RHB.
Me: Are you mad?? You want to go to several banks and queue several lines instead of getting everything done in one bank? Don’t you have better things to do?
Bro: She really doesn’t have many things to do, you know…
We walked into Maybank and Bro made his way to RHB. It was 11:20am.
The lady at the reception in Maybank asked what it is we wanted to do.
Mom: We want to open joint account
Maybank lady: Do you have your birth certs?
Me: What? (Didn’t think I heard clearly)
Maybank lady: Your birth certificates
Me: We can’t use our ICs?
Maybank lady: No, you need to show relation
Me: What if we are friends?
Maybank lady: No
Me: You mean friends cannot open joint accounts????? (Giving incredulous look)
Mom: Last time can wat?
Maybank lady: Yes, now kenot
Me: What??? So we are regressing instead of progressing?? (Walked out)
I used to have an account in Maybank but decided to close it after I enthusiastically wanted to register for online banking when it was first introduced only to find that the application itself would cost RM12.00. The money is not the matter. It’s just stupid to have to pay for application!! I refused to bank with a stupid bank.
We went into Public Bank at the end of the road. No need for birth certs, just ICs showing we live in the same address will do. That still does not answer why non-related people cannot have joint accounts. Do married couples have to present marriage certificates?? Please enlighten.
In PBB we were served at the Customer Service counter. The lady made four copies of our ICs, made us fill up five different forms, and I counted she used three different chops at least four times each and she had to sign on each of them.
We then had to go to counter no 14 to wait to be called, and proceed to the counter after counter no 20 (which isn’t counter no 21) to receive our ATM pin number. While waiting to be called, Bro walked in - in a huff. He was pissed.
RHB gave him a stack of forms to fill which measured one cm in thickness, and he waited until 12 noon only to be told by the security guard (repeat: security guard), that it is time to go “offline”.
It was Friday, you see. Mom said it is the same with Maybank. Shouldn’t they have said something when you start to wait??? My brother seldom gets ruffled but he was today.
He decided he would join my world’s global bank where I always get treated like a queen and experiences of opening accounts in two countries each took less than 20 minutes excluding waiting time, with offers of credit cards to boot.
Bro: Heck, and I wanted to give them money!!!
Me: Welcome back to third world mentality
Honestly, I am sure procedures can be simplified. I thought the banking industry is liberalized this year- why aren’t local banks improving?
The consolations that saved the day are my favourite herbal duck soup noodles for lunch, and a pampering time at my neighbourhood spa. Feet are soft and smooth after a lava scrub to remove dead skins and toes a nicely painted. Aah...
2 comments:
Yay! Malay-sia Boleh!!!
Why did you even bother to come back to this Godforsaken country in the first place?
yea...Maybank sucks...waited for 2 hours to apply for online service...but after 2 hours,was not served..so therefore, stormed out! Never had online services with them...got mum to do banking instead....MAYBANK sucks!!!! We should have an anti Maybank club...and I never tried other local banks as well, i don't know why..never liked them...
And I agree with the part of regressing instead of progressing..I used to like Maybank alot when they have the priority counters...They have stopped that service 3 years back..why they stopped it? NO IDEA!!
I know this is not about Maybank...! But I just wanted to vent my share of frustration with the local banking scene as well! Arghhhh.....hmmmpppphhhh....ewwwwhhhhh....ahhhhh... WE WANT A BETTER SERVICE INDUSTRY!
Post a Comment