The thing with vanity
There is no stop to it if you don’t put your foot down.
Beauty/ Spa/ Wellness (whatever) centres always try to get you to buy a package so that they lock you in. With the package you get discounts, cheaper deals etc, but really, the mark up was stratospheric to begin with so that in the end you are still nowhere near the earth.
What to do… We girls have to “maintain” our good looks. It’s our prerogative/ right/ privilege/ burden (whatever).
(If you are the “practical” sort then think of it as making the economy go round and boosting the services industry and your social security as soon we would be paying higher GST).
So I went for my overdue facial today. Skin looks like she is really in need of help so the sharks are going in for the kill.
“Why don’t you do this treatment called IPL?”
“What's that?”
“It is a light treatment that sends ‘energin’ into your skin to reduce uneven skin tone, lighten pigmentation spots, reduce large pores and oil glands. It’s very effective and you won’t even need to do a facial because the energin will boost the inner healing outwards.”
WHOA! Sisters, say it again with me: WHOA!
Sounds great? Except it costs 2.5x more than my usual facial. But…. Remember that packaged deal???
“You can deduct it from your package, we are very flexible with that.” I bet.
I have 2.5 months more in Singapore but enough points to last for the next six months if I keep to my usual facial. So I decided to try this very promising IPL (I did read through the entire booklet to show them I am no fool).
The moment I completed the treatment, the beautician recommended me this “new” treatment they just introduced, did I get the mailer? I probably threw it out.
It is called the Caviar Treatment. (What on earth???)
“How much is it?”
“Its only $135 and you get a free facial with it.”
“Can I deduct it from my package?”
“No, because this is promotion.” The ubiquitous clause. Remember she was very flexible just moments before.
“Right now it is very cheap. Usually it costs $350 without the facial”.
(What on earth??? Beluga caviar doesn’t cost that much at the restaurant!!)
I really had no intention to purchase fish eggs. I really hate this pushiness. But I decided to play along.
“So what does this caviar do?”
“It has a lot of protein (duh!! they are eggs!!) and we massage it into your face. It makes your face looks smoother.”
I’m like…please give me a better ultimate achievement for that price. Promise me endless blue skies and constant warm sea breeze while you are at it.
And I want my usual beautician.
“Thanks, but I won’t want to buy anything that I cannot deduct from my package.” The one that has enough points to last till August which I have to finish by April, remember?
“Then you should do the IPL every three weeks. You can really see the difference after three treatments.” Sure.
At this point, I am just doing the maths. That would serve the goal of using up all my points before I leave. What the heck… I am vain. I am woman.
4 comments:
to be honest, i dont believe in facial treatment. It cost too much and one is inclined to think that it works having paid so much for it... hhehhehe Whats wrong with the natural beauty one have...ahem..like mine? hahhaha.... but yes to being vain....girls are always vain..but guys are catching up so fast nowadays...
some exfoliation may help you lor...
wah liao eh!!!!! mocking me!! nicole mocking me!!!! hehehhee..... naaaah..... i think i look really sissy lor without the scar to be honest. i am pretty much happy with how i look...still can get siu mui mui in hospital..hahhahahha
stop chasing after young nurses' skirts you kam-yue-lo (goldfish uncle)!!!
Post a Comment