Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Deep morning thoughts Part 2



The papers are talking about the pivotal year (1989, or was it 1988?) when Dr M basically sacked six judges from the judicial system. One of them was Tun Salleh Abbas the Lord Chancellor.

The courts said he was wrong, he said they were wrong, he amended the Constitution, appointed his own judges, and got rid of the guys who didn’t support him and the rest was history.

And history it seems is making a haunt.

So the honourable TSA says if the present government can reinstate things to what it was previously, he would be vindicated.

I care more about the former than the latter.

If I sound like I have less than required amount of protocol respect for the honourable TSA, it is because it is true. I don’t know they guy. And I don’t know if the way he is sometimes glorified is warranted.

During the 2004 elections, Cindy and I were covering the Pantai Dalam constituency. It was a goner; we knew UMNO would win. But it had two important personalities and would make for good fight. So there was a big crowd during Nomination Day. There was a bunch of uncles in their 70s hanging around outside of the station. These are uncles staying in the affluent Bangsar area and speak English to each other.

We overheard them talking about TSA and the courts. They knew we were listening and included us in their conversation. One of them said people forget very easily. They forget that TSA, too, was not so just and was “influenced” when he made a biased ruling in his days (in some other landmark case I cannot remember now).

I don’t know history well enough, so I don’t want to accord too much respect to those who might not deserve so much.

But yes, please save the judiciary. No one really believes in the Malaysian court’s ability to administer justice these days.