Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Lion, The Lamb and The Rock

Two things touched me in church yesterday.

(1) “I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”

2 Samuel 24b. Darlene Zschech Of Hillsong Church Sydney was in New Creation over the weekend. She quoted that verse as she led worship for the 9am, 11am, 2:30 pm and 4:15 pm worship at the Rock auditorium at Suntec City. New Creation’s worship team basically worships the WHOLE of Sunday.

“I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.”

It still resonates.

A lot of what I give has been easy. I am not saying it doesn’t pain me to give a chunk of my hard earned pay as tithe and offerings (bearing in mind I have nothing that the Lord did not give!).

Giving money is easy. And so the very least requirement I that I give up to a point where it hurts- at the point where what I give could have gotten me something else I really like and want, which makes it a sacrifice.

But still, how easy is that?

Pastor Chris in DUMC once said: We have not yet given to the point of sweat, blood and tears. What are we complaining about?

The statement was more compelling after watching a video on all the community development work Christian missionaries do in the poorest of villages, and how they face persecution, and how that truly sacrifice.

(2) The Lion and The Lamb

The splendor of a King, clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice

He wraps himself in Light, and darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice

How great is our God, sing with me
How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God

Age to age He stands And time is in His hands
Beginning and the end
Beginning and the end

The Godhead Three in One Father Spirit Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb

Name above all names
Worthy of all praise
My heart will sing

How great is our God
How great is our God, sing with me

How great is our God, and all will see
How great, how great is our God

They played scenes from The Passion of Christ when we sang that song. I never want to watch that show the second time because the first time round, I couldn’t stop crying for two days.

And so we when sang How Great is Our God with the scenes of Jesus carrying the cross, of his blood and crucifixion, I tear-ed again. Partly because the feeling of how great His love is for me came overwhelming again, and partly for realizing how calloused my heart and how distracted my mind have been.

Says Pastor Prince of New Creation, “Don’t judge God’s love by the situation you are in”.

“Judge His love by His crucifixion on the cross.”


And may I add: for me.