comment vous appelez-vous?
I wonder what Matt named his second daughter. His first baby he named Megan, after as four year old blonde haired blue eyed little girl whom he fell in love with as a student visiting a host family in Canada. I gave him the ideas of Melinda and Melissa.
Melinda was my roommate in UI. She said her mom chose that name because her mom, a teacher, had never a student by that name. Nobody called her Melinda. We all called her Mindy. Mindy’s best friends were Megan and Melissa. And Jessy.
Shiao Peng’s brothers’ names are Jin Choon and Han Yang. I thought it is so cool that his parents didn’t do the conventional naming method where by all kids in the family has the same middle name. Of course, if you morph Chinese names into Western style by putting the surname last, every one of our middle names becomes the first name. And so my brother, sis and I are all called “Yeng” by some our friends. My parents don’t get an award for originality.
Vincent says if he has another child he would still find a name that starts with Jo-; his first is Joel and second is Joshua. He doesn’t like Joseph for reasons I cannot tell.
Olivia is named after the Olive tree. If she had been a boy, Hwee Mei and Elvin said they would have named him Ashton. After the Ash tree. I thought that is such a noble concept. Firmly rooted and branching out. Tall, strong, fruitful- living to benefit others.
When I started using Nicole, nobody could say my name. Then Nicole Kidman became famous and so did Nicol David. Then suddenly there was a proliferation of Nicoles.
I used to think Nicole sounded so beautiful. And everyone who could say it right thought it sounded beautiful, too. Actually, I thought it sounded sophisticated, cool, and strong. Everything I thought I was not at that time.
Then I found out that it means- triumph of the people. Gulp.
Uncle Kok Keong when he gave a sermon some years back said that there are so many Davids around. His son was named David. Christian parents like to name their sons after King David. So few are named Solomon, even though in his reign he was a greater king than his father. He was the richest king in history. And I remember the few times that Pastor Daniel said Solomon did not finish the race well. He died a shadow of the man that he was in his prime.
David died in glory. He struggled and he did many wrong things. Each time, though, he came back to God. Uncle Kok Keong says maybe what we need is more Josephs.
I like Joseph. I may name my son Joseph if he could be like Joseph (of the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat fame).
I knew of a family who named their sons Jonathan and David. Two best friends. One who sacrificed his throne for another to do what is right.
If I have two sons I may name them Joseph and Jonathan. Not because I like the letter J so much. But I know of a young man called Jonathan and I like what he is growing up to be so far.
Although I really like one-syllable names like Ryan and Mark. One-syllable names sound so sure and strong. Like Grace. Definitely Grace for my daughter.
In reality, if you ask me I would say I don't think I want to have kids. But this is a blog and I am allowed to dream.