Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Grand adventures

I’ve recently been asked by a friend to join him in surfing.

Ha ha.

Me.

Surfing.

Or is that so impossible?

My main concern is that I cannot swim to safe my life. I could perhaps float. I once told my former flatmate, who is a swimming coach, that I get embarrassed thinking of how badly I swim that I don’t.

My other main concern is pigmentation. Yep.

If I go out in the sun more, it would just hasten the development of dark spots on my face – as little freckles they may be cute but they would soon disastrously grow and grow and grow and grow and grow and grow and…

In any case, this friend is a surf addict. He also recently told me that on a rainy day he paddled really far out into the sea because the surf was there, and he was paddling because no boat would take him out. I called him crazy but he said he knows what he is doing. And actually, I trust that he does.

To be honest I am curious with what it feels like. Would it be something like hang gliding? I imagine the feeling of immense freedom once again.

Nature is so vast and I am so small that being in a situation where that contrast is tangibly (?) felt puts me in awe.

The caress of the wind, the power of the waves; all the glory of God. And then one mortal creature deriving immense enjoyment of being in that midst; delighting in God’s creation and the harmony of that creation.

I wanted to tell my friend perhaps that also pleases and delights God who is looking down from heaven above :)

A lovely and fun-loving little girl of 28 started this year with the resolution of seeking great adventures. I’ve lost touch with her since we went hang gliding together. I hope she found her adventures and that they would all be worth it.

A toast to an amazing 2007 and a promising 2008.

No comments: