When there is no oil or gas
Oil is approaching US$90 a barrel, again. I no longer doubt that it could reach US$100 a barrel, and beyond.
I wonder if people think of when we run out of recoverable fossil fuel.
I wonder at people who think that we would never run out and that we would just dig deeper, explore farther off shore.
I wonder if we are investing enough today to be able to truly survive on renewable energy.
Nuclear is not renewable. Neither is ethanol. I don't agree with farming for biofuel because it drives up the cost of staple food for many people in this world.
I wonder if people think about their daily carbon footprint. It's how much carbon dioxide we each create/help create (other than from breathing).
I want my house to be able to run on photovoltaic power if I ever have my own home.
I think the Singapore government should build new HDBs to have solar wall panels.
If you think about it, wind and solar power are the only truly clean energy.
3 comments:
Nic, If you decide to join the Peace Corp and decide to picket near any oil platforms, it would mean that we shall be fighting each other..:(
Rising oil price seems to benefit some people u know....
Fossil fuel will probably run out in 20 years time...then we will probably be in deep shit...but the oil giants are now talking about renewable energy..
anyways...wind and solar power alone is not enough to sustain the earthly activities nowadays..(u may disagree, cos i remember u disagreed before) well, at least,it is not sufficient based on the geographical distribution of clean energy vs users that is..
and also, it will take probably another 20 yrs or so for them to develop this (clean energy) for global usage. (someone will need to push this along, any takers?)
meanwhile, we shall need to learn to lessen our carbon footprints...(ie.use less aircond in the car, in the house, in the office...have candle light dinners at home, instead of turning on the lights, keep electrical appliances at home to a minimal, no TV, no satellite, dont own a car...try taking the bus, in KL!!!!).
I know, you are probably saying you are doing tat already!!! :)
Try to convince others to follow suit...as a starter, moi here... :p
we humans are destroying the planet we lived in. we are the number one parasites. we kill off other species and feed on mother earth to fend for our lives. hence, it is us who will destroy mankind. unless you live as a primitive caveman, everyone has a role (directly or indirectly) in either promoting, encouraging, participating in this global destruction.
the humanistic optimists are saying that market forces will determine the supply and demand of oil. when the price goes up, so will energy efficiency, and exploration will intensify to find new reserves in deeper and more remote places. and then there's shale oil. and coal will last longer than oil. but i remember in my rudimentary economics class that the demand for oil is inelastic, i.e. people never learn their lesson...
in the final analysis, this world is beyond hope. even if oil lasts another 200 years, then what after that? we can only look forward to the new heaven and new earth. :)
Post a Comment