Turkey deal of the year, really
I hope we've had our share of bad news for the year. It's only March and I think we've had enough to last until December. Really.
(I'm not even counting March CPI yet)
The Edge 'awards' companies the best deal and the turkey deal of the year every year-end. I think they would have found their turkey already in the GOM.
So DiGi didn't get a 3G spectrum. Really wan!
The last two spectra was given to MiTV (the latest entrant in the fight to transmit programmes -the Korean and Bollywood sorts, this one- into your idiot box- if you buy a set-top box first), and to TTdotCom.
First question: Does a country with 24 million people really need FOUR 3G spectra?
So apparently all three companies met the minimum requirements to be awarded the licences.
Second question: Do we really want to be satisfied with meeting the minimum?
So everyone expected DiGi to get one of the spectra. Because it has honestly been so innovative and has brought so much benefit to consumers. Because thanks to DiGi starting a price war, sim packs now can be bought at Rm8.50, and text messages can cost just 1 sen. That's not even a denomination in many countries.
Third question: Really, why didn't DiGi get a licence? No, REALLY?
My guesses:
Could it be because DiGi has lowest cost structure so it can undercut everyone else in price (sort of like AirAsia)? Wouldn't that mean that other mobile operators have to take lower margins and still not be as profitable? And wouldn't it mean that if now, DiGi has to buy airtime from the four other licencees, its cost structure (for 3G services at least) will inevitably be higher than all the rest?
Could it be because DiGi is 61% owned by Telenor of Norway? Could it be because it is majority foreign owned that it doesn't matter whether DiGi is probably the only one of the three with the best roll-out plan and the greatest financial strength to carry it through and wide enough reach to ensure equitable usage? (Ok, I added the last bit and I didn't see all the three proposals-- I admit I am biased)
OR, could it be because studies have shown that consumers REALLY want to have more Korean and Bollywood shows?
Chloe said I say too many sensitive things in my blog. So I should REALLY stop.